Sunday 19 November 2023

Mystery Plant

 


 I found this cute little potted plant at the grocery store. The display said they were Christmas ferns. When I brought it home I went looking for information how to keep this Christmas fern alive. I finally found one site that had a photo of "my" plant and found that it isn't a fern at all. Selaginella "Frosty" is what I have.
Apparently it is what is known as a spikemoss and is very hard to keep alive. It needs a very moist environment...even frequent spritzing won't be enough. So I'll enjoy it through the coming month and see what happen.

 Today we walked around Fish Trap Creek in a very light rain. Hardly had to open my umbrella. There were not many birds around,  but yesterday we walked around Willband Creek and saw the heron, an eagle, a lone swan ( where were the others?) as well as a nice assortment of ducks. Now we'll walk here around Mill Lake during the week. It's just a couple of blocks from our house.

I want to thank Far Side and Furry Gnome for the book suggestions. I will be looking for those books at the library and  if I can't get them there I'll look at the thrift store and also used book shop.

Are you ready for another week? I realize that for you American friends there's a lot to get ready for Thanksgiving.  Whatever your week holds I hope it's a pleasant one.

Thanks for visiting, GM



10 comments:

  1. Such a pretty plant! I'd keep a spray bottle close by and give it a good spritzing daily.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...that spikemoss is so pretty! I really enjoy plants that are a bit different in nature. I hope that you have fun enjoying it and maybe it will last you longer than just this month. You certainly have a way with plants and flowers.

    I do have a busy week ahead of me...but not necessarily due to Thanksgiving. Deer hunting season also opened here today, which means my husband will be out in the woods every day until he gets his deer. That in turn gives me opportunity to get some things done around the house that I save for this time of year...the deeper cleaning routines especially, making preparation for getting out the Christmas decor the first Saturday in December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new plant.
    I just came home with two new plants from Lowe's today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will enjoy of this nice plant or a long time1 It#s nice, that you always make fine walks near your house. Many greetings and blessings to you from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you find the books you like to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have grown that little moss outside here in summer. when it gets watered. It does not winter over.
    I am trying to be organized about Thanksgiving while also going to appointments. The turkey is thawing, the table is set, most of the ingredients for pies and sides are gathered. Tomorrow I'll get and arrange flowers and a few fresh things. Wednesday we precook, and Thursday we do the rest, and then eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very sweet plant.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the look of the spikemoss. I hope you can nurse it well past a month. No Thanksgiving here since we did that last month, so I'm beginning to plan for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the look of your little Frosty! Hope he makes it for quite awhile at your house! No traveling for us for Thanksgiving this year....just getting over nasty colds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete