Sunday 5 November 2023

Sunday Walk

 


 After yesterday's heavy rainfall we had to find an area where the paths were not washed out. We knew there was no use returning to Fish Trap Creek where we encountered deep puddles on the path yesterday so we tried Willband but it was also under water at places. We drove a little further and found another trail which seemed to be dry enough to make walking possible. We came upon a fast flowing stream much like this one and walked beside it as far as we could. Finally we came to a washed out bridge and had to turn back. We saw Salmon trying to swim upstream ( to spawn) but we never saw a single one that actually made it. I suppose they just keep trying until they either succeed or die of exhaustion. We were told that a school class had released baby Salmon,( called fry), a few years ago and now those babies had matured and were making their way upstream to the very place they were originally released. 

Thanks for coming by, GM



12 comments:

  1. I always felt sorry for the salmon we saw swimming upstream. No matter what they were going to die anyway. I was told if they do make it to spawn, they die shortly afterwards and if they don't make it, well, you know. They are a fascinating fish though.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to walk along the brook and listen to the sound.
    One of my walking places where I used to live had a brook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went for a mile walk in the neighborhood and the street trees and yard trees were so beautiful
    It's cool that you saw salmon spawning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely season for walking ... you are inspiring me to return to my bike paths by the creek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking along side a lovely brook sounds wonderful. What a delightful way to spend an Autumn day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lesson learned from the salmon...
    Beautiful photo!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very interesting about the salmon! I hope it made it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your perseverance in finding a place to walk. The picture you shared of the stream reminds me of a place that I used to enjoy walking before we moved to our current location 22 years ago. It, like in the picture you shared, was beautiful this time of year.
    How wonderful it would be to be able to look in a stream and see salmon trying to make their way upstream. My brother-in-law owns a home in Alaska and we always know where we can find him from July on. His property lies right along a stream and it isn't hard for him to catch his limit of salmon on a regular basis. The blessing for us is that he shares his catch with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for finding a place to walk, even if you had to eventually turn back. You were out enjoying the world around you, and that's a blessing. Salmon trying to swim upstream, that had to be a great sight, something I certainly don't see where I live. ☺♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see you had very n much rain.. so a lot of water is standing on the ways everywhere. I'm sorry for the salmons - what a hard life they have! Many greetings from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you have had much rain. It must have been interesting to watch the salmons!

    ReplyDelete