Monday 17 June 2024

Is Rhubarb a Fruit or a Vegetable?

 In spite of less sunshine than it would like our rhubarb didn't do badly at all.  DH brought in (more than on the picture obviously) and I chopped up some partially frozen cherries to make 5 little jars of jam plus a bit.  We like our jam on the tart side and I don't use a recipe so I hope it will be sweet enough.,



 I found this information on the internet and thought it was interesting.

 Rhubarb is a vegetable often thought to be a fruit. There's actually a good reason for this confusion: in 1947 the USDA classified it as a fruit because the tariffs on bringing fruits into the country were lower on fruits than vegetables. In actuality though, rhubarb is a vegetable - a member of the buckwheat family.

 

Thanks for visiting

 

 

12 comments:

  1. I love to hear you say you don't use a recipe! I cook like that most of the time, and am always stymied when someone asks for a recipe.
    Your rhubarb looks so pretty. We planted new roots--again-- and they are doing well. I have had such bad luck with rhubarb, I hope this time will be the magic charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for clearing that question up. My rhubarb all died out last year. Don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try rhubarb jam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought about it being either one...I would have went with vegetable I think. I think it is a pretty plant, too. Doesn't it feel wonderful to make jelly/jam, can something?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I miss my rhubarb from my own plants. I can't believe how much it is at the store. I guess if had had given it much thought I would have thought of it as a fruit because I always make pies, crumble, cake, etc. with it. It doesn't seem very veggatably to me. :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting information about rhubarb and why it is called a fruit rather than the vegetable that it actually is. We've been harvesting our rhubarb here, too. I will be making some strawberry/rhubarb jam with it but for right now it is going in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jam sure looks delicious! I've never tasted rhubarb. Interesting information you found that it is a vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure your jam is delicious!
    A task caused so much fruit or vegetable confusion!!
    Thank you for the information.
    Have a nice day Granny Marigolt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhubarb I know since I was a little child. My mother made some pudding and cooked the rhubarb with water and sugar. I loved it! My second daughter in law knows a very very fine cake with stawberries and rhubarb! So delicious!! Your jam looks delicious, too! Let's open the first jar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet your Jam is yummy, I always thought of it as a fruit! My Mom used to make a rhubarb sauce and it was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like rhubarb.
    I have fond memories of my dear mums rhubarb crumble :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete