Thursday 20 June 2024

Solstice, Flowers and Construction

 

 


 Happy First Day of Summer!!  Our sky was totally clear this morning and we're in for a real summery day.  30C if the forecast can be believed.

I found this information so interesting...

This year's vernal equinox occurred on March 19, at 11:06 p.m. EDT. It was only the second time that the equinox had fallen on March 19 in more than a century. In fact, it was the earliest spring equinox since 1896 — 128 years ago.

This year's summer solstice is also the earliest we've seen in a long time. However, we have to look back a lot further than 1896.

Even taking into consideration that there was no daylight saving time back then, 2024's summer solstice is still earlier. We actually have to go all the way back to 1796 — 228 years ago — to find an earlier summer solstice.

*****************************

My flowers are loving the sunshine and my Campanula persicifolia  has never done better. I just call them my Bluebells but I have as many white ones as blue.


Work continues on the medical building that's going up behind us.  Massive 3 story-high  walls of concrete are being lifted into place by a crane. It's very interesting to watch although everything is done so slowly and great care taken. I wonder how much one of those walls weighs.


I'm taking a break from doing housework but I think I better get back to it now. AFTER I check on the construction progress.

Thanks for visiting

 

 

I'm adding this next bit for my own information.

1752 was when the calendar went through a major shift, skipping over 11 full days in September of 1752, to correct 17 centuries of celestial drift and bring the equinoxes and solstices back into alignment with our calendar.


Once that was done, the Gregorian calendar then added in a correction to leap years to prevent that problem from recurring. After 1752, every year evenly divisible by 4 would be a leap year, except those years that are evenly divisible by 100, but not 400 (1800, 1900, 2100, 2200, 2300, etc.).


16 comments:

  1. Your flowers are beautiful! That medical building that is going up is a lot closer to you than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter solstice here today :)
    Your campanulas are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your bluebells! Interesting information about the solstice. It seems like it's going to be a long, hot summer this year. Will the construction of the building block your sunhine? I sure hope not. You have such a pretty garden.
    Enjoy your afternoon my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful your garden is,
    the white flowers are wonderful!
    I hope you don't miss your backyard view!
    Have a beautiful Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Summer Solstice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your garden!! Beautiful.
    Interesting facts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Solstice! Your flowers are lovely I am sure they are happy with this warm weather.
    Not sure why I thought you lived out of town.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this information!
    I'm solstice-fan!
    Interesting comment from New Zealand!!!!!
    I love the blue an white bell-flowers. I have the same in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had thought about Summer being officially here over the weekend....thinking in just a few days...but had not thought of it since. I am glad you mentioned it, and I enjoyed all the information you provided. Aren't computers/internet wonderful. ...just to be able to find whatever bit of information we seek.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the interesting information though I find the pink font very difficult to read on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers are lovely as usual. Is that variety of Campanula the kind that spreads and needs to be kept in line? My but those walls look massive - one can only hope those crane operators are as careful as can be!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bluebells are gorgeous. Glad you're having a nice day there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photo of Stone-henge!! Spiritual magic stones!! The new building-stones are nothing compared with them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a new football stadium going up behind us ( just 2 blocks over), the press box looks to be 3 stories tall. I can set on the porch and watch the cranes moving around and workers walking on the upper levels. They'll have it enclosed soon, we often drive by to get a closer look. Gives us something to do on these hot days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been ignoring the summer solstice this year. It makes me think that summer is over before it's even arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can just imagine the noise with the construction behind you! Your bluebells are so pretty! Wishing you very happy summer days!

    ReplyDelete