Monday 15 July 2024

Pineapple Jam

 Another warm week begins. I have finished dealing with the laundry. DH brought home a box of 8 large, very ripe pineapples from Gleaners. They were given several hundred lbs of pineapples which they couldn't use. After all, it's dried soup mix they make and pineapple just doesn't work for soup. In cases like that the volunteers are encouraged to take and use what otherwise will be compost. So we made jam. We used equal amounts of pineapple and rhubarb and it's surprisingly tasty.
(Our grown children were happy to take a pineapple home too).


 Gleaners also got 60,000 lbs of potatoes of which 5000 lbs were beyond hope and were put in the compost but the rest will make a great addition to soup mix. It's always interesting for me when DH comes home after working there all morning with tales of what the latest  produce that was donated and in what astounding quantities.  In the case of the potatoes it seems that the warehouses have to make room for this year's crop so are getting rid of last year's.

Thank you for coming by,  GM





21 comments:

  1. I've never had pineapple and rhubarb jam!! I think I'd like it.
    I love both pineapple and rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings on your husband for this good work. That is really an excellent way to make fresh produce into something people can store without any other resource.
    The jam looks tasty. What an interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha - I love potatoes, too. In my childhood home, baked potatoes were on the table about 300 days of the year. The remaining days were rarely without potatoes in some other form, fried or mashed. What a wonderful "invention" potatoes are.

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awful lot of potatoes to process! But a great way to keep produce from being thrown out! I have never tasted pineapple jam but I would imagine it's quite delicious.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that jelly is delicious! Yummy♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh.....I think I'll be a rabbit too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ...oops....I thought it said RABBIT! OK...I'll be a Hobbit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dear husband and his people do a very good and blessing job to change the food, which would be thrown away, into good soup! And you, too: this amazing combination of pineapple and rhubarb is a wonderful idea!
    I love hobbits :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought of combining pineapple with rhubarb, but I like both and I imagine the end result is yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful to have such donations, but I wonder what they thought you could do with all those pineapples!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lot if potatoes! I would not mind being a Hobbit it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a windfall for you... pineapple/rhubarb jam sounds divine~

    ReplyDelete
  13. We made the BEST ham and pineapple pizza with our pineapple! - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pineapple/rhubarb jam sounds good :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Using what would otherwise be wasted is such a wonderful thing to do, whether it is for you family or to feed the hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pineapple rhubarb jam actually sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pineapple and rhubarb jam must be delicious a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could do Hobbit! Hope you are well GM

    ReplyDelete
  19. The jam sounds wonderful!! And I also am a Hobbit! lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds really delicious, that combination is new to me.

    ReplyDelete