Sunday 20 October 2019

What I've been Reading

It's a rainy Sunday afternoon.  Later we'll be going to youngest son's to play Mexican Train (dominoes)  but for now I thought I'd share what I've been reading this week.

The first book I read was A Three Dog Life. It's the true story of Abigail Thomas and how she rebuilds her life after her husband is hit by a car and loses his memory. Because of his moods ( rages) he has to live in an institution. Sounds like a depressing book but I didn't find it so.

The next book was When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanith. The author, a neurosurgeon aged 36 is diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. He describes how it was to go from being the doctor to being the patient.  This book was a little bit depressing because in the end he dies.

Okay on to this little Christian magazine which I've never seen before. Full of short inspiring stories
(one written by what I believe to be a good friend of second oldest daughter).




I bought this book for its illustrations and cute rhyming text.  I hope I can get M to let me read it to him. Maybe even show him where California is on the map. At 10 he's not quite as apt to listen to MY choice of reading material.




This little cookbook which promises to" provide recipes for dishes you really want to eat but without the fuss and fanfare".  As you know I read cookbooks like novels, looking at coloured illustrations and imagining how I would make it. Then I go back to the old familiars. Still, for .25 I'll enjoy it and probably pass it on when I'm done.



That's it for my reading list.  I hope you're having a lovely weekend and maybe even some sunshine.

Thanks for visiting,   G.M.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your books. Love your insights on them. I read A Three Dog Life several years ago and really enjoyed it. Books are one of the lovely comforts of autumn for me. I don't find much time to read in the busy summer, but always make time for some cozy reads in autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh. My husband and I both used to read cookbooks like novels! Then we would discuss what we were reading and sometimes even try and copy a particular recipe or method. Some family members thought we were a bit strange, "reading" cookbooks, but we actually learnt quite a lot and it was a lot of fun as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those cookies or tarts, or whatever they are on that cookbook cover...but they look like they'd be hard to make. You sure do a lot of reading....good for you! I stay away from depressing stories...need to find the uplifting and happy ones! Thanks for doing your blog.....I know they're a lot of work, but I love to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I don't normally spend quite so much time reading as I did this week. About the tarts, they are mincemeat and look easy to make. If I make them I won't use mincemeat ( I'm not a fan) but even butter tart filling will work I'm sure. Somewhere I have tiny Christmas cookie cutters.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love to play Mexican Train! Would love to play with a group...lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always like hearing what others are reading...I think I would enjoy Weavings...sometimes inpiring stories are just what a person needs. A Three Dog Life sounds familiar, not like I have read it, but like I have seen it before. Or maybe it reminds me of the rock group, Three Dog Night. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just looked up the book...sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books!! I'm not familiar with Weavings, I'm going to look for it. Hope you're having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you with reading cookbooks like novels! :) books are such gifts to us! sending you a HUG on this Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love to read when I have the time and sure love looking through magazines and old cook books. I think I have heard of Weavings. I will check it out. Hope you have a great day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't resist old cookbooks. I have a large collection and am always loking through them. Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you enjoyed the Mexican Train night out. We also enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some of those state alphabet books from places we have visited. They are always well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha! I do that with cookbooks, too. I bought The Jerusalem Cookbook mainly for the pictures and stories. I only have a few "just in case " I might need to cook something fancy someday, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved When Breath Becomes Air. It's been a few years since I read it, and it was on my Kindle, which I guess didn't detract from the story at all :-) I would like to read it again, because when I read it I think my husband had recently died; I might like it even more now than I have calmed a bit emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  15. also I just looked up the Three Dog Life and am going to DV get it from my library in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! It is so nice that you can get so much reading done. I hope you get to share that book with M. Nancy

    ReplyDelete