Thursday 31 October 2019

Tales from the Back Yard

It was interesting to sit and watch the goings-on in the back yard this morning.  We have a Hummingbird feeder that has been very popular all summer.  Both male and female Hummingbirds came often to sip sweet syrup between visits to my flowers. Now that almost all the Hummers have migrated we are left with at least 2 females one of which is very territorial. The second one was making darting visits to the feeder as often as she dared. Almost every time she was chased away by the first one. So we hung a second feeder only to have the territorial one defend BOTH the feeders. It's keeping her very busy!

Another visitor this morning was a extremely persistent squirrel. He was determined to get at the sunflower seed feeder but that feeder has proved to be squirrel proof ( as well as pigeon, starling and other larger bird proof as well). The white stuff in the feeder is probably oatmeal that my DH dumped in to see if any bird was interested. They are not).







It's very chilly again today. I didn't walk because for some reason my left foot/ankle is very painful.
I don't remember swisting my foot yesterday so who knows what's happened. I hope it goes away as quickly as it came.

Happy Halloween to those who pay any attention to it. I've turned the calendar page to November. I know one is not supposed to change the calendar page before the month begins but I did anyway. 

Thanks for coming by.  G.M.





21 comments:

  1. Where did you get that feeder? I would love to find one the starlings could not use. I have quit feeding birds because they clean it out before other birds have a chance to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Rose, but that feeder wasn't bought. My DH built it. The trick is to use wire with a grid just big enough to allow smaller birds to slip through while keeping the big ones (and squirrels) out.

      Delete
  2. We love watching the visitors to our feeders. We have not had any luck luring hummingbirds to our feeders. I like your squirrel proof feeder. I hope your ankle feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those pics of the squirrel's different approaches to the bird feeder! He was definitely not going to give up easily!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just amazed that you have a couple of little hummers that are brave enough to stay the winter. Do your winters get really cold there? Guess I need to do some research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems there are always a few Hummingbirds that decide to stay here for the winter. We have much milder temperatures than most of Canada. Jan/Feb we can expect some minus 5 C ( which would be about mid twenties F.)

      Delete
  5. Me, too. I'm ready to do Nov.
    I finally gave up on the hummers. One hog kept all the others away, so why bother. There were lots of natural nectar sources around.
    Hope your ankle/foot are fine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindah! Thanks for visiting today. My ankle feels somewhat better but I still didn't go walking ( to give it another day of rest).

      Delete
  6. What a great feeder you have. We have pesky squirrels too and they keep raiding our feeders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I changed the calender over yesterday too. Those squirrels don't give up easy do they? I don't mind feeding the critters, but I do wish they would share the space and food. If that squirrel gets to feeder before the birds...all gone! That is an interesting feeder, he looks a little baffled???????? You have a beautiful glass door knob on the door to the right of the bird feeder. I love me some glass doorknobs. I need to feed our birds, it's rather cold, and some areas had a wee bit of snow...not us. I hope your ankle feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your feeder and that squirrel is cute, though I know they can cause trouble!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy November!
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy November! Your bird-feeder is absolutely charming and very nice that it's squirrel proof. He sure was giving it his all to try and get in, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember watching territorial hummingbirds when visiting my daughter (in Arizona). I just love hummingbirds (none here in New Zealand) and enjoyed their bright colours and different antics. We don't have squirrels here either, so our bird feeders are usually fairly quiet affairs. Hope you are back walking again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beterschap! Hope you ankle is better soon. O how I love to see your bird feader. So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That squirrel did all of those tricks for you and yet no treat?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure hope your ankle is better!! I'm sure you miss your walk!
    That squirrel looks determined to get in there!
    Such a cute bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aren't squirrels funny! I'm sure he thinks if he looks long enough he will find a way inside. The hummingbirds here, they have all left now, but they always fight over the two feeders. I don't see how they ever sit still long enough to sip the nectar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What species of birds are so small they can get through those small spaces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Chickadees, Nuthatches, Sparrows ( Song I think. Most House Sparrows are too chubby to fit through )and House Finches. Oh yes, this year the Juncos have begun to come to the feeder. Until now they only ate what was on the ground but they've gotten braver it seems.

      Delete
  17. I'm always very eager for Halloween to be over and for November to come, also.

    ReplyDelete