Friday 24 March 2023

Books and Flowers

 

It was cold walking this morning with the temperature hovering around freezing. We've been hearing Red-Wing Blackbirds singing and now a Robin must have claimed his territory because we've heard him every morning this week always in the same shrubbery ( although we haven't actually seen him yet).

I've been rereading my own books for the last while. After I finish each one I decide if it is a keeper or not. Slowly making bookshelves less full. I can't remember who posted about The Last Bookshop in London and also The Children Return but I requested them from the library and went to pick them up yesterday. Maybe after I finish these I'll go back to rereading mine again. Or maybe the weather will be such that I'll be spending my afternoons puttering outside instead of reading.



My Thanksgiving/Christmas Cactus is blooming again. It must really be happy in the east window where I put it.


Last but not least is a lovely bouquet I received from one of my sons this week.




Last minute thoughts.... 

I didn't know that Miss Kitty's markings made her a 'tuxedo cat".  Thanks Donna, for that info. Thank you all for the lovely comments on my Kitty. As I've often remarked, we really were not looking for a cat but she chose us and now we'd sure miss her if she left. Maybe had we known she planned on staying we would have given her a different name but as it is she responds to Kitty.

Another comment from a few posts back was from Fran ( welcome, Fran) who wondered about the need for chaining on anything in the front garden or risk having it stolen. We do live right in town and have security lights that are on all night but that doesn't deter thieves who brazenly take whatever they can sell ( quite possibly at a flea market).

Thanks for visiting, I hope you have a lovely weekend.   GM

18 comments:

  1. Fun books!! Pretty flowers and a lovely bouquet 💐! So sad about theft if not locked down but I do understand as we have theft problems too in our town! :( love your cat! Kitty is a nice name for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is too bad that you have to chain everything down, but that is pretty common in cities and suburbs now where picking is easy. We live back off the street on a 150 ft setback, pretty well hidden from the street, so foot or street traffic isn't much of a problem for us, We do have an expensive locking mail box out at the street though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to put out Halloween & then Christmas yard decorations...not any more. Thieves. Now, just indoor decorations.

    I love kitty...glad she chose you and your home!!

    The Christmas cactus is a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your header photo for your blog and how lovely your teacup collection looks! Such pretty flowers and how sweet that they came from one of your sons! The book titles sound very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Last Bookshop in London is on my list to read too.
    Nice to see your beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bouquet from your son! Wonderful! The cactus feels as well as Kitty ("tuxedo cat") in your house full of good spirit and love all around. It will be colder here in the Bavarian Forest on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always interested in the books you mention, so I'll have to check these out! How nice that your cactus is blooming for Easter! and how sweet to have a son that brings you flowers! You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely bouquet from your son. How blessed you are. The cactus is beautiful too. Our kitty George that we dearly loved for 15 years before he went over the Rainbow Bridge was also a tuxedo kitty. The vet told us that they are very intelligent and also very loving and in our George's case, that was certanly true. I hope your Saturday is full of fun my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bouquet, flowers are always welcome.
    Your little blanket under the pretty Christmas cactus is so pretty...I like it.
    Many greetings to you and happy weekend. A hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Miss Kitty...beautiful baby.
    What a sweet son!! Lovely flowers...
    Enjoy the weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. You recieved a nice bouquet. We have to be careful to our belongings even in the country and have security service and alarms in our homes, difficult times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely flowers and that cactus is amazing. Kitty is a great name! Happy weekend, V.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such pretty flowers. Many of the bloggers have said that their Christmas Cactus were reblooming...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting to get a 2nd bloom from your cactus. I think I need to relocate mine to an eastern window.
    What a nice son you have. The bouquet is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is sad how brazen thieves are becoming, and it seems to be a worldwide problem. The place I have spent the weekend housesitting warned me not to leave my car outside (put it into the locked garage) as so many cars are being broken into each week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been doing that with a lot of my books, but sadly, without reading them. :-( I always love to see your cactus with those orange-y flowers that I prefer over the more common hot pink. And it may seem odd to give a gardener like you boughten flowers, but I know I always appreciate gift bouquets very much. I'm glad your son is wise about that. <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. The books look interesting. With moving, I sure donated a lot of my books. I still am taking a lot. I may try to weed some more out once over there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Last Bookshop in London is amazing! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! X Chy

    ReplyDelete