Friday 14 July 2023

Beans and Blooms

 Lunch is done and my daughter, who comes for lunch on Fridays, has gone home. The house is quiet. Company expected this evening and I have things that need doing this afternoon. Luckily I baked a cake this morning while the kitchen was cool because now it's 30C  86F.

Perfect weather for beans. DH picked these last evening. He planted purple ones just to see how they'd be. I find them very stringy and also they turn green once they're cooked so I doubt we'll grow those again. Those are bush beans. The yellow ones are pole beans and I see a few green ones came in too. I prefer the green ones and we have some of those growing as well.

I planted 4 Sunflowers and 3 are now blooming.

My Montbretia ( or Crocosmia, if you prefer) is blooming and the Hummingbirds love them.


 Thanks for visiting today, GM

 

 


 

12 comments:

  1. Guess beans wouldn't grow good here!! Too cool if they like it hot!!
    Have a fun evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could grow things better! Going back and forth from city to country means both places get neglected and I am just about to throw in the towel and give up! Our rose garden here at the ranch is doing well so we are concentrating on that now. LD tilled up the weeds in there and took the fence down so he could get those weeds as well. Now he is watering and tomorrow he will put down several sacks of red cedar bark mulch which will help a lot!

    Your gardens look lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers of summer! And I think it is fun to try new varieties of pole beans, though I haven't done it for a while. I don't seem to be home enough to be a good gardener.

    GretchenJoanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny, your flower pics are always so pretty. You have a wonderful green thumb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a good time with your company. I didn't know that beans came in purple and white too! I love green beans. I used to grow bush beans and freeze about 100-125 quart bags every year. I do miss those. They are very expensive in the stores so we don't get them often.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cooked my first batch of green beans this week. They were not suppose to be stringing, and they snapped well and didn't seem to have strings at all, until we went to eat them. Of course I had invited a new friend from Bible study to have dinner with me, I was so embarrassed, she'll probably never want to eat here again. They did have a great flavor, I cooked them with ham. So after she left I put the leftovers in the blender and made broth for soup. I'm putting it in the freezer and this winter it will be a good soup starter. The blender did away will any signs of strings, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your garden is a little bit earlier than our garden here in the now rather hot Bavarian Forest! Beans and sunflowers and Montbretia for our eyes and for food ad for the bees and Hummingbirds - - a great present!

    ReplyDelete
  8. .. I have to mention, that we here in Europe don't have any Hummingbirds..

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hot here at 104*...the flowers look like Sunflowers we have here.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home grown beans are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Green beans are a wonderful summer treat. Baking early is the best thing on these warm summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Home grown beans are the best!

    ReplyDelete