Saturday 8 July 2023

This and That

 

 It's a wee bit cooler today and also yesterday. I noticed that we were low on cookies so I did some baking. Those Biscotti were the last of the cookies. I baked a Blueberry Cobbler with some of the blueberries that we bought earlier this week.  Looks like it sunk in the pan when it cooled.


 

 I had a volunteer blooming in the front flower garden. I recognized it as Campanula rapunculoides and had Youngest Son dig it out.  It's bell-like flowers are pretty but I am afraid of this plant's invasive nature.  I don't think this is the first time a bird has gifted me with this particular flower.

Here's what the internet has to say:

Campanula rapunculoides, known by the common names creeping bellflower, rampion bellflower, rover bellflower, garden bluebell, creeping bluebell, purple bell, garden harebell, and creeping campanula, is a perennial herbaceous plant of the genus Campanula, belonging to the family Campanulaceae.

 
 

Why is creeping bellflower bad?

The problem is, creeping bellflower has a very strong and extensive root system so it spreads quickly and will easily take over your garden and choke out other plants. It's also hard to get rid of.

 

Is creeping bellflower native to Canada?
It is native to Siberia and was brought over to North America as a garden plant by some of the first European settlers. They thought it had so many attributes.

 I hope your weekend is a peaceful one. Time to relax and enjoy summer.


Thanks for coming by,  GM

 

11 comments:

  1. Wow that sure has a lot of names. It sure is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty "weed", but probably one not to add to our gardens. I am not familiar with this plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty plate and tea cup with the biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I know all too well how hard it is to eradicate the bellflower! Even a small plant has far reaching tenacious roots that need several years of Roundup to get the job done. Very pretty but not worth the hassle! I realize now that I have some straggler "Obedience Plants" that survived some chemical warfare...that one too is so pretty but even a 1/2 inch piece of root that is overlooked grows into an aggressive plant again.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, creeping Bellflower does look pretty, too bad it's so invasive! Your blueberry cobbler still looks good to eat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bloom is so pretty...too bad about it being invasive...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I could use a dish of that blueberry cobbler... with some vanilla ice cream, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you want to give this guest a place, consider, if it would catch the home of other flowers. A place, where nobody is blooming, would be nice. In my garden this bells would be welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s of a very nice colour and I have some in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have it at the edge of the woods and I see some in the ditches locally. Yes it spreads:(

    ReplyDelete