Saturday 26 August 2023

Chit Chat

 

 


Once again it's Saturday and all the usual Saturday chores await me.  First, though, a short visit here.
We went for our walk and on the way back stopped at the fruit & veg market where we bought cherries, peaches and pears. I love how available all the fruit is right now. We were given some plums earlier in the week and I made a Coffee cake that didn't have fruit as an ingredient but I layered the sliced plums on top and it was delicious.

Yesterday ( or maybe it was the day before) when I was at the Dollar Store I saw this pad and  realized how handy it would be to use as a menu planner.  I've been writing our menus out on a scratch pad but this will be better. I've quit writing in pen because I change the plan so often. Nevertheless, it serves as a place to jot down ideas as I think of them.  ( The stickers barely visible on the right were used to decorate my September/October pages).

Plums

As I sat out on the porch with my second cup of coffee I saw an unusual bird in the garden. It seemed familiar and  I knew we'd had some pass through other years (as they migrated) but I had to look it up to find that it was a Western Tanager.I'm always thrilled to see a different bird stopping by.

inserted later....

The Western Tanager migrates long distances, either individually, in pairs, or in groups of 30! Often they migrate only at night2. Night migration is surprisingly common for many bird species, as it allows them to avoid predators and provides a cooler environment for travelling.

from the internet

I had better get the vacuum cleaner out and make myself useful. I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Thanks for visiting.


Granny M

13 comments:

  1. Oh I like that idea of the planned menu calendar. I too would have to use a pencil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you write out menus, but then I think you are cooking for more than two people. so I must be useful.
    We went on a garden tour with our garden club this morning, and then out for a long lunch. There were 17 of us and it was noisy and hard for me to hear. That is draining and exhausting, and now I have been recovering. It's hot again today and I an done with being outside until the sun sinks lower and it gets cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little calendar pad is a great idea for jotting down menu plans. I am with you, a pencil is always best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh nice! Those plums look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi GM! Western Tanagers are pretty! I might confuse them with goldfinches. Your plum coffee cake sounds nice. I remember feeling fallish when I lived in the PNW, but here in Colorado we are a ways away from fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it amazing how a so delicate looking bird can migrate such far distances? Thanks for the information. The planner looks like it would come in very handy. I have all of these plans for when we get home from London. The planner would be a great one to add. I wonder how many will actually get done? :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to write things down using a fine line Sharpie. Like you, I often have to make changes so I just turn my scribbling out into some sort of a doodle! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty bird, similar to our Yellowhammer I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet that cake was wonderful! I love plums...and the little calendar is a great place for menus!
    Happy weekend!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use blank recipe cards and write down the days for two weeks and fill it in with ideas in pencil that way I can change my mind! I use a clothespin with a magnet and put it on the fridge:) I also have a list of what is in the deep freeze and what is in the refrigerator freezer...that way I know what is on hand most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful small bird visited you on his great journey! I love the fruits, which come now in autumn. Plum-cake is delicious! To write some ideas is good, even if you don't make them true at once.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Granny! Just stopping by and thought I would say hello!

    ReplyDelete