Thursday 31 August 2023

September 1...First Day of Fall...Maybe

 

 


 Here's more information you never knew you wanted to know.  I like to think of the first day of September as the beginning of a new season. I'm so done with summer  with the heat and drought so I plan on thinking I'm in Fall....meteorological Fall, that is.
Here's some facts from the 'net:

So what's the difference between Meteorological Fall and Astronomical Fall? The obvious difference is they have different start and end dates. Meteorological Fall starts September 1st and ends November 30th. Astronomical Fall starts September 22nd and ends December 21st.

Is meteorological or astronomical seasons more accurate?

The length of the meteorological seasons are more consistent than the astronomical ones, so that we can observe, forecast and compare season statistics reliably from year to year.

Are you having a good week?  We've had a few cool days and a small amount of rain (3.2mm in the past 24 hours. 16 mm in August.)  I took advantage of the coolness and baked some muffins.  
We did the grocery shopping this morning which meant we skipped our walk. ( We can't do both any more it seems). We'll get back on track tomorrow. 

Thanks for coming by,  Granny M

11 comments:

  1. I had not heard of meteorological fall. That was always the case when I went back to school as a student and a teacher. Now I observe the astronomical fall. We've had coolness, cloudy skies, and some rain too. It should perk up the rest of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear husband and me also spoke this afternoon about Meteorological Fall and Astronomical Fall.....

    We had a lot of rain and it was rather cold. Now the sun will come back. We had some rain-catastrophe in the south of Bavaria. The weather becomes somehow more and more extremely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am over summer as well but I did learn today that the schools are getting hit by covid = already. That doesn’t make me happy at all. I am going to start thinking about curtailing where I go! I haven’t gotten back to normal from the first lockdown — I guess I will be ready if there is another. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I think of Fall beginning on Sept. 1st too. We'll probably have snow by the end of October here, so have to enjoy Fall as long as we can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a cool-down too. It was only in the upper 80's the past two days. Tomorrow back into the upper 90's for the next 10 days at least. No fall coming yet in September here. Hopefully it will be cooler in London next week since not many places have AC there. Tomorrow is our 45 anniversary. We're going to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner! Yum!
    I read Melissa's comment and I've heard that Covid is pretty rampant around here right now since the schools started. Oh, I sure hope we don't catch anything on the planes. Yikes!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are having Autumn weather, coolness and lots of rain. But tomorrow we are back to Summer weather again!
    Sun and 30 degrees C! This is a crazy weather and we don’t know in which season we are or will be…

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very Autumnal here, leaves dropping, flowers fading, apples ready to pick......and misty weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think of Fall as starting the day after Labor Day and when the kids go back to school. Monday is Labor Day here in the USA.
    I enjoy all the seasons and don't try to hurry them along - they go by fast enough!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool here but hotter tomorrow! Seasons change quickly! We do what we can with walks groceries...

    ReplyDelete
  10. September is coming in very cool this year, but it will be warming up right away again, for which I am glad :-) Though I just got a huge load of firewood on site, I'd much rather be wandering the garden in the heat than hauling logs into the house for the stove. HOWever, I am not going to complain, when meteorological fall arrives and I have to start doing that. I am trying to be thankful for each day, turning over one of those leaves that will soon be falling...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our summer was humid and so rainy the past few days have been wonderful!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete