Monday 28 August 2023

Fruit Flies

 Fruit flies have been a plague every summer for as long as I can remember. I've tried various traps and vinegar mixtures but they kept multiplying. I know someone who threw out a box of ripening  pears in desperation.   So why did I not know that fruit kept in those mesh veggie bags  is safe from the fruit flies? Of course one can't keep an entire box of fruit in a bag but at least a small amount can be in the kitchen with no problem.  The peaches were ripe and needed using today so I made a few little jars of jam. The pears are still quite green.
Do you have problems with fruit flies? And if so, what is your solution?


from the internet.....

Are mesh bags good for storing vegetables?
The breathable nature of mesh produce bags is vital to preserving the quality of your produce. Unlike other storage options, these bags don't trap heat and moisture, which can lead to spoilage.
 
Thanks for coming by,  GM

11 comments:

  1. No, no problems with fruit flies here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the mesh bags! Wishing you every good thing 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you figured something out. I hadn't known the bags would keep fruit flies away.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have problems to keep fruits or they are too ripe and flies arrive or not ripe enough. I have to use them all at once and make a fruit salad with yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also tried the vinegar/dish soap mixture but no luck, like you mentioned, they just kept multiplying. So, sadly the pears went into the garbage and that took care of the fruit flies. (C)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, fruit flies are a problem here. I used to have luck with vinegar with a drop of dish soap. Doesn't seem to work as well now for some reason. I might have to try the mesh bags next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have been getting fruit flies since I didn't notice a nectarine spoiling in my fruit basket on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These bags are a good idea! I try to keep not so many fruits in my kitchen. I put them outside on the terrasse. My youngest son gave me a fuit-fly-catcher. You put a piece of lemon in the small bag of this catcher. A lot of flies will come, but they will be in the prison of the form. When you have about 20 flies you just open the catcher outsinde. So you have not the bad feeling of killing ttoo many of these small guests.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have never dealt with fruit flies. I hope the mesh bags are of some help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mesh bags are good. Also i used to keep them netted basket to prevent them from flies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good idea but fruit rarely last long enough around here to go bad! lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete