Tuesday 1 August 2023

Full Moon, Zinnias, and Tomatoes

 


 Another lovely day here.  July ended up with 29 days with no measurable precipitation. Also, from the first of the month to the last we lost 59 minutes of daylight. 

Here's something else I find interesting....

The cosmos is offering up a double feature in August: a pair of supermoons culminating in a rare blue moon.

Catch the first show Tuesday evening as the full moon rises in the southeast, appearing slightly brighter and bigger than normal. That’s because it will be closer than usual, just 222,159 miles (357,530 kilometers) away, thus the supermoon label.

The moon will be even closer the night of Aug. 30 — a scant 222,043 miles (357,344 kilometers) distant. Because it’s the second full moon in the same month, it will be what’s called a blue moon.

*     *     *

On a totally different subject.....we got the first tomatoes of the season. The largest one weighed 421 grams.  Almost a pound.  A single slice covered my slice of toast and it was so sweet. The plant had a marker that said Early Girl but the other EGs that we planted don't look at all like that one.


 All that sunshine has brought the zinnias into bloom. I used seed from last year's zinnias and I don't have the variety I had wanted. Guess I'll buy seeds again next Spring. Has anyone grown the Mexican variety? They look so bright and colourful.   I like the striped kind too. Always thinking ahead to next year.


 Thanks for coming by,

         I hope you get to see the moon tonight


GRANNY M


14 comments:

  1. Wow, no rain! Here in Ontario we had a number of good rains in July. So much so hubby was mowing the lawns every five days or so. No ripe tomatoes here yet but a few are getting a bit of colour. Love your zinnias! I have a few planted this year and will definitely plant more next year.
    Enjoy your day.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked the first small bouquet of zinnias today. Out tomatoes have quite a ways to go before we have any ripe ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting moon-news!
    My youngest son spent the night in our house with the 2 little girls. When they were sleeping, he called me and said: "Look! The fullmoon is so big!" I was surprised and said: "Yes! Very big!"

    I love zinnias. They have wonderful colors.

    We still don't have ripe tomatoes in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the explanation about the blue moon. The moon is full here in Quebec tonight, and beautiful. There is nothing like a fresh tomato picked at perfect ripeness from your own garden. Enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had rain about every other day in July but are told that we're still in a drought situation. The heat was a little less today but the humidity was 89% which makes even 80F feel awful. I'm done with the heat. Interesting stuff about the moon. I used to have zinnia's in my garden when we lived in Omaha years ago and I loved the colorful blooms. I don't remember what kind they were though.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read here about the moon, I went outside to look, but I think it hasn't quite risen yet. I will stay up a little longer and wait for him! Thank you for telling us; I so rarely keep track of these things, but I love to be reminded, and to have a reason to go outdoors on a summer's night. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love thé bright colours of the zinnias I should put some in the garden. I did not grew tomatoes but my daughter did, but we have no sun and too much rain and they will be spoiled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No chance of seeing the moon here - too many thunder clouds with rain and even some hail at times! Normally I quite like looking at a full moon and thinking my daughter is seeing the same moon on your side of the world. Enjoy your tomato :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was cloudy and rainy last night no chance of seeing the moon:) Those tomatoes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed the supermoon because of totally overcast skies... it's been gray and wet here for two weeks now... I have to say please summer come back... warmth, blue skies, summer laughter...
    your tomatoes are wonderful, I'm going to go to the gardener today and buy some... I think there are the first ones - really good ones.
    I wish you a happy day. Many greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can just imagine a good tomato sandwich, yummy♥ I'm looking forward to seeing the moon in all her glory this month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't grown the Mexican variety. This year I grew the candy cane striped type and they turned out nice. Like you, I am always looking towards next year's planting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't grown the Mexican variety. This year I grew the candy cane striped type and they turned out nice. Like you, I am always looking towards next year's planting.

    ReplyDelete