Monday 11 December 2023

A Book and Cookies

 

 I had a low energy day so only half of the laundry got done. I finished reading The Invincible Miss Cust which I began reading on the weekend.  It was a very interesting read and I liked that it was based on a real situation.  Sorry about the fuzzy photo.  I pasted some information below .


 

The Invincible Miss Cust is based on the real life of Aleen Isabel Cust, who defied her family and society to become Britain and Ireland's first woman veterinary surgeon. Through Penny Haw's meticulous research, riveting storytelling, and elegant prose, Aleen's story of ambition, determination, family, friendship, and passion comes to life. It is a story that, even today, women will recognize, of battling patriarchy and an unequal society to realize one's dreams and pave the way for other women in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

I tried a new cookie recipe. It consists of making sugar cookie dough that you press into mini muffin pans and make an indent in the tiny muffin which gets filled with lemon curd after baking.  The recipe is called Mini Sugar Cookie Cups in case you want to look it up.  I wish I'd taken a picture before DH whisked them away and into the freezer.  They look pretty good and tasted even better. 
I didn't make my own lemon curd. I find Bonne Maman brand is very good.

Our snow was short-lived...rain washed it away the next day. We walked in thick fog this morning but by the time we came back it was almost gone. Tomorrow is forecast to be much the same. Sunrise was 7:51  sunset 4:13.  We continue to lose a minute of daylight every day and I imagine that will continue until the 21st.

Thanks for coming by today,  

Granny M

9 comments:

  1. That sounds a most interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added the book to my Wish List! It sounds like something that I would really enjoy reading. Thank you for sharing about it.
    I also looked up the recipe for the Mini Sugar Cookie Cups and they look quite elegant! I don't know how well I would do with making my own lemon curd, but I do know that I can buy it jarred at Kroger. I don't remember the brand name, but I have used it before and we found it to be quite good. I actually have some Bonne Maman Fig Preserves in the fridge right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe sounds good! And it's getting darker earlier every day...I think I like it!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so glad when the sun peeks through the clouds on these dark days. The book and the cookies both sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book does sound very interesting. I haven't had time to do much reading. We have been lucky so far with no snow. We had a few fllurries last Saturday but that's it. Okay with me! :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds good and one that I'd like. I've written it down and will see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting book. your cookies sound delicious!
    We had rain that took all of our snow away too.
    Tomorrow a seasonal Winter day.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah: we loose every day one minute... This is very interesting!
    Good books are good friends!
    I'm sure, you made enough wash on your loundry-day. We shaould not work tooooo much! I was too buzy last Monday with my housework, so I needed two pills against pain! :))
    Our snow also is melting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The recipe sounds good, but I am surprised we don’t have Bonne maman lemon curd here, I wish we had some!

    ReplyDelete