Wednesday 25 September 2024

A Magazine and Jigsaw Puzzles

 

 

A rainy day today, we had heavy rain in the wee hours.  A good day to bake, which is what I'll do later, after lunch maybe.

I did something yesterday that I haven't done in years...I bought a magazine. I often buy magazines at the thrift store but rarely ever a new one. DH had to go to the mall to have his hearing aids adjusted and right across the way was a book store. I wandered over while he waited for them to fix whatever they had to fix and saw the September/October issue of Victoria magazine and on impulse I treated myself.


 Years ago we used to do jigsaw puzzles in winter but as my eyesight worsened we quit. Recently we tried again and although I have some difficulty with very small pieces we have found some that we can do. I know it's not winter yet so we are starting early. Here a couple that we've finished lately.



Besides the baking I will do later I have made a Black Forest Trifle using a cake that flopped. I cut it into cubes, made chocolate pudding and opened a can of cherry pie filling. All that is lacking is Cool Whip on top. ( I don't know why that cake didn't turn out.  The recipe was Mary Berry's Sponge Cake and I've made it before and it has never failed until now.)

That's it for today. Thanks for visiting.

 


 

 




17 comments:

  1. Maybe the baking soda is expired? Can't think of a reason a cake would flop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those puzzles look good.
    Your trifle sounds tasty too, good use of the sponge cake that didn't turn out quite as expected.

    Enjoy the remainder of today and good wishes for the rest of the week too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi GM! lovely puzzles, I have one on the go from last year, I'll be bringing it out again, sometimes I look and look and cannot find a piece to go anywhere. Ooh trifle....sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE puzzles. I'm looking forward to doing our new ones when we get the first snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you made something yummy out of a flopped cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that magazine and yes they have gotten way to expensive. I do subscribe to two different ones I just hate to give up.
    Husband is the puzzle person I see all those pieces and I turn the other way lol
    Rain for us now we haven't had rain in weeks so we need it but I heard it is going to be quite a lot of rain. Nothing to do with the storm in the south.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed seeing the puzzles you have been working on...especially the one with the quilts! SO colorful.
    Your trifle sounds delicious. I enjoy making Mary Berry's recipes. I'm sorry that her sponge cake recipe didn't work this time, but I applaud you for finding a resourceful way of using it anyway. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you would guess, I love the puzzles. I have kept one going all year long since Christmas, minus a week or two here and there. Sometimes a day or two will pass that I don't work on them, but most days I at least put in a few minutes while cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your puzzles. They look great. Your trifle sure sounds good too. Victoria magazine shows up at my house often! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be right over for some of that trifle. It's sounds delicious! Isn't it strange that sometimes when we make something we've made many times before, it doesn't turn out right? It happens to us all! Those puzzles look really interesting as well as your magazine. I haven't bought one in quite awhile either. Now you have me curious as to what you baked today. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good idea to rescue the cake!! Amazing! Here also autumn comes with rain, cold days and nights but also with beautiful sunny hours. It's earlier dark now..Puzzles for me are too difficult :)
    Good luck for DH with his ears and for you with the surprising magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo that trifle sounds delicious... I dont know why we only have trifle at Christmas because they are a favourite of ours.
    We really must get our puzzles out again... they are fun. Thank you for reminding me
    Phoebe x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello GM! Maybe it was the flour? I've made trifle with my goof ups, too. YUMMY! Your puzzles are fine! Good job! I love Victoria magazine so much! I'm glad you treated yourself. Happy fall, lovely Granny from the Pom Pom Granny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always loved Victoria since it started in 1987. I le[t all my older issues and escape into them by reading the back issues by "the present month". Right now - old SEPTEMBER issues are a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Complimenti per il blog!
    https://unagerladidee.blogspot.com/ il mio blog l'ho perso.Mi farebbe piacere se tu diventassi mio follower,grazie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The puzzles are pretty. I'm glad you have been able to find ones you can do. I try and do at least one online each day - with the puzzle pieces reduced so that there are not many of them and I can see them better!
    The magazine looks very interesting (I've a weakness for books on Scotland). I hope you enjoy reading through it :)

    ReplyDelete