Monday 9 September 2024

Monday Chit Chat

 

Good Morning!  Another week begins and here our weather feels very Fall-ish today. Cloudy with a mist in the air. We hadn't walked around Mill Lake for a few days ( chose other places ) and we noticed how many more leaves had fallen. Not much colour yet, I think the poor trees were stressed by the long hot and dry Summer.

One of many things I like about Fall is all the fruit that's available. We bought lovely Plums and Pears at a stand.


 


Made Pineapple jam with 2 of the Pineapples that DH brought home from Gleaners where boxes of them were donated but of course they can't use them in the soup mix that they make so volunteers are encouraged to take some so they don't go to waste. I must admit I find Pineapple jam strange but not unpleasant. Had some on my morning toast.


Remember that web that I showed last week? Some knowledgeable commenters have suggested it was made by tent caterpillars and from the pictures I saw on the internet I think they are right. These caterpillars are considered pests.


Margaret  asked if I put fruit in my scones and the answer is yes.  I used to use raisins but in recent years I use that glace fruit that I also use for fruit cake ( Christmas Cake).   Which makes me wonder...do you make a fruit cake for Christmas?  If so, how soon will you do so and where do you store it in the meanwhile.  

I'm quite sure that by now both the washer and dryer are done so I better get working.

Have a good week.  Thanks for coming by.


 

16 comments:

  1. You sent the warmer/hot dry air our way! Pineapple Jam sounds interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not tried glace fruit in scones, only sultanas, currants and dates (all separately!). My husband loved fruit cake and I would make it at all times of the year, not just Christmas. Pineapple jam sounds intriguing, but I think I will give it a miss!
    Enjoy your day, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like dried cranberries and lemon or orange zest in scones.
    Up until last year I made fruit cake every year. Now only jill and Tom and I eat it and we don't need to be eating it. I made it over Thanksgiving weekend and stored it, wrapped in brandy soaked cheese cloth and sealed plastic bags, until Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plums and Pears are two of my favorite fruits to eat. I use to make an Apricot / Pineapple jam and it was quite tasty. I have never tried to make a fruit cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I like summer plums and pears, they tend to be very juicy. When pineapple is cooked it loses aroma and flavor, it is better to eat it natural.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pears but plums not so much.
    Just a few leaves here turning colors here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made an apple, pear and walnut crisp this evening in order to use a few of our apples and pears. It turned out well.

    The pineapple jam sounds interesting. Do you have a regular recipe you use for your jams?

    I have a question for you. Our nights have been down in the 40s (degrees F) and I know I am going to need to bring my Amaryllis in soon. I always admire yours because they have such beautiful blooms. When I bring it in, how should I treat it in regard to lighting and how often to water it. It was a gift from my daughter last year and I thought at one point it had died. But I held on to it and have had it out on the porch all summer. It's grown three beautiful leaves, but I would really love to see it bloom this winter. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't quite imagine what pineapple jam would taste like. I have heard of pineapple pie though I have neither tasted it nor made it myself.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss the plums we had in our garden by our old house. Autumn's fresh fruit is so expensive to buy here. I have never tasted pineapple jam! I think I will make a fruit cake for Christmas, it is mostly me who eats it, so I don't always do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm, this is the second time today I have read about pineapple jam. I think I would like it. As for scones, I have added raspberries, currants, raisins, and blueberries to mine at different times. I like them all. Oh, and orange zest of course with dried cranberries. I have never made them without fruit, actually!
    My sisters and I got together every year since our mother died in 2005 to make fruitcake. The pandemic kind of ended that, and honestly, our recipe made so much that it was hard to use it up! This year I will make it again, cutting that huge recipe in half. I do love it.
    Your last photo, of the flowers, is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The autumn/fall often provides some wonderful fruit.

    Yes fruit scones are nice ...

    Wishing you a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. We do not eat a lot of jam but we do love it. I love fruit cake my grandmother made it every year. Nothing like a nice slice with a cup of tea. But sadly I am the only one who eats it.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in Germany also suddenly autumn is beginning after a lot of hot summerdays. Hallo autumn! Time of delicious fruits, o yes..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine pineapple jam although I do love fresh pineapple. It's hot, hot here again but where we'll be next week in South Dakota sounds much nicer. Can't wait for that.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should have known that was tent caterpillars...don't know why didn't think. No, I don't make the Christmas cake...none of us really care much for it. Though I wonder now if in my older years I would like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never made pineapple jam, but you have me an idea… here it is Fall weather 12C and Autumn weather nice for cooking and baking!

    ReplyDelete