Monday 16 September 2024

Monday Chit Chat


 


 It's amazing how quickly September is passing.  Our weather is just beautiful although we had fog this morning but now the sun is out and there's not a cloud in the sky. Sunrise was at 6:47 and the temperature had already risen from 10 to 13C  by 7 o'clock.  We had a pleasant walk and when we got back I started on the usual laundry.


Over the weekend we got a load of bark mulch and youngest son began spreading it for us. We're trying to get the "wild area" in the very back less weedy and mossy. He scraped quite a bit of the moss off and this morning I went out and, using a watering can filled with water and bleach I watered those areas.
I also sprinkled lime on other mossy spots and I will keep an eye on it to see which, if either, method works to eliminate the moss.  We don't plan on ever growing anything right there so we don't need to worry about any effect on future. I'd really prefer mulch with maybe pots of plants here and there.

There are leftovers for the next couple of suppers so I don't have to think about what to make so I'll just enjoy the sunshine. Maybe finish the book I'm currently reading.

Thanks for visiting 






15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you've got such good helpers so close to you. Gardening is hard work for sure. It's really hot and humid here right now but we're heading north on I-29 right now and will be in SD tonight. Tomorrow we'll be in the Black Hills for a week and it's supposed to be in the low 40's F at night . A huge change from Omaha!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clothesline picture reminded me of days of hanging clothes out on the line to dry. And, when it was raining.. no dry diapers, no dry undershirts, no dry towels. We always prayed for sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is said that vinegar will get rid of moss, as well as weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a nice day! I think I will finish my book too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing laundry too while Tom is dealing with unsolicited charges to our credit card from a company that he can't talk too, only go round and round in a non-person phone/computer system. Aggravating! I'm trying to get out for a walk while it is still cool and cloudy. We might get sun this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Monday to you too. I should have stayed home to do laundry but went out with Ken instead. :). Always nice to have those leftovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mulch has recently been put out here too. No problem with moss just weeds. I like your photo. I hung clothes on the line today. I enjoy having time for that 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like you are having the weather we are just lovely
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monday used to be my laundry day as well, but somehow it has gotten moved to Thursdays. I did wash towels today, so I guess I did do a little laundry. I'll be interested to hear which method was the most effective in getting rid of the moss and weeds. I wanted to tell you that I decided to use the same method that you currently use when it comes to the Amaryllis. It's in the kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good Monday! I was reading a book and almost to the end and now I can NOT find it anywhere! I started another one and hope the lost book turns up sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gardening is a lot of work and it's good to have family around to help. I read a book this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the downtime. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, the memories. That lady with the clothesline and the pole holding up the line - that was exactly what my mother used for years and what I had when I first got married. We would lower the line to hang the washing up, then hoist up the pole so the line was high and taut and could hold the washing well above the ground. Now, we use a rotary clothesline :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will have to share what works best on your moss:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to have days where I have leftovers I know Roger will like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every Monday I clean my house and feel good connected with you :))
    I LOVE the old photo, it remembers me exactly on my dear mother..
    A lot of work now in autumn in the garden and in the "not-garden" ..

    ReplyDelete