Tuesday 9 January 2024

Sweets

 No walk for us this morning. It wasn't so much the rain as the blustery wind. Branches were sailing off the hedge in the back ( neighbour's hedge, not ours).  Yesterday we ended up having snow fall almost all afternoon with temperatures just above freezing. Then the temperature rose and the snow turned into heavy rain. While the snow was falling I spent a good long while sitting and watching it fall. Pretty but inconvenient, I know.

I got around to trying this shortbread that was given to me at Christmas. I think it's the best I've ever had.  Made in Scotland, I suppose it should be good. Didn't shortbread originate there?
The pattern on the plate that I chose is Brigadoon (Royal Albert).



 I also tried these sugar cookies that one of my DiL's made and decorated. It was an early Valentine trial run. Unlike my slap-dash baking hers is done with great care.....looks good and tastes good too.


 Thanks for coming by today .




12 comments:

  1. You enjoy your little treats with such style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's very blustery here as well. Perhaps tomorrow will be calmer for us both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cold here too, and we got about a foot of snow here overnight. I walked this morning, it was windy, but not too bad. Your shortbread cookie looks delicious and such a beautiful plate to enjoy it on! I am a slap-dash baker too :) I don't have time for much fancy baking, lol! Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weather sounds very similar to what we experienced late yesterday, through the night and today. It's still raining. The shortbread looks amazing! I'm sure it was as tasty as it looked. And your daughter-in-law's cookies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you put the Scottish shortbread on a Scottish-themed plate!
    No snow here, but maybe on Friday. Lots of wind and rain, though. Good for staying indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had shortbread as one of my Christmas presents, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our snow is still here and more predicted tomorrow night. It's going to be SO COLD that I don't see it going anywhere for awhile. My sweet blogfriend Lorraine who passed away last year lived in Scotland and used to send me shortbread often. When I met her in London, she brought me a huge shopping bag full of Scottish delights. Jams, shortbreads, cookies and crackers, along with some of her gorgeous sewing which I will cherish forever. I miss her and always think of her when I see or taste shortbread.
    I hope your day is beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I belong to that slap-dash baking club too! But those Valentine biscuits do look tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This weather is really terrible! I hope, you have a safe time and better weather now. A cup of "royal" tea with a delicious cookie is a good way of life during this weather and more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I baked a new sort of shortbread this Christmas, to give away. It was a browned-butter-brown-sugar shortbread. There is nothing like that classic cookie.

    But your baking "slapdash"? I don't think so!

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love shortbreads and sometimes bake some.here the snow is melting during the day and ice in the morning due to temperature below 0.
    The cookies look very nicely decorated and should be good 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Scottish Shortbread! Love the flavor of them...
    Beautiful plate...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete